Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dogwood


What can I tell you about spiders, well first of all I was covered in them creating this image. It seemed everywhere I looked there would be a nice one looking right at me. So I had to just run through the crowd as quick as I could. If there were anyone witnessing this, It would have been a spectacle indeed. Besides the presence of the eight legged buddies, this shot has a interesting tale behind it. It was almost the end of my stay at Lewis Creek, so I was loosing light fast. I had spotted about four huge trees with blooms all over them, and it kind of was my mission to shoot some dogwood during this trip. So when I spotted them I had to be quick. It did seem almost impossible to get above the blooms. I probably should have just walked across the river but I decided to cross over a thin fallen tree which almost sent my gear down stream, luckily it did not. The only way to shoot from this angle, would be to get above, but there were no higher options with the lens I had. Long story short: I climbed up the tree and was still able to render the stream cloudy with a branch mounted 5 sec f22 exposure at iso 100. Thanks tree! Some of my favorite shots have been nature mounted. Rocks, trees, dirt, it all works. This was last Saturday and blooming was still happening so if you would like to shoot some dogwood: get up there!

2 comments:

Bob Towery said...

You know, they say the real art of photography is to remove all the elements that don't need to be in the picture. Here we have a fine example of that.

It's kind of a "negative space" image, but with deep blue instead of white.

Fantastic exposure on the dogwood bloom. This is an image to be PROUD of!

Bojh Parker said...

Thanks much Bob, At first I wasn't sure that I even liked the image but now it has grown on me.