Sunday, December 13, 2009

Moss and Lichen on Cedar

fence moss

I noticed this moss today while harvesting a couple orange trees in my backyard. The area is pretty much shaded year round and pretty moist at that, being a good spot for these guys to thrive. I have always admired moss since I was a little lad, it grows in the best spots. And lichen is an organism that is often over looked in fact, it can grow in extremely acidic soil down to the most arctic temperatures or in other words all over the world. It spreads its spores and offers it uses for nutrients, floral arrangements, medicine and moss in the Appalachian mountains is a big part of the craft industry as well. So next time you see those little mossy friends under a rock or on an old fence give em' a little shout out for me!

No comments: